Sunday, May 25, 2014

Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies

As I am sure I have mentioned before, oatmeal cookies are a MUST for me. I absolutely love them in any way or form. I absolutely love dried cranberries as well. That being said, this cookie is a perfect blend of these two things. My parents bought me this enormous bag of craisins, and what better way to use them all up than in some pastry, right? I began my search, and I turned to the cookie section in flour by Joanne Chang. A simple oatmeal raisin cookie recipe popped up, but I was out of raisins. Therefore, the magical enormous bag of craisins that had been sitting in my pantry since Sunday practically begged me to open it up. So I did, and as a result, these delightful cookies were born. "These just might be my favorite cookies," my mom said. That meant something, because my mom will choose a chocolate chip cookie anytime over an oatmeal cookie. I promise you will not be disappointed by this exotic mixture.
I am planning to add white chocolate and pistachios next time I make these. 

Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies
Makes about 27 1 tablespoon sized cookies
(Per 1 cookie: 97 calories, 3.8 (g) Fat, 15.2 (g) Carbs, 1.1 (g) protein)

Ingredients: 
  • 1 stick unsalted butter
  • 1/4 + 1/8 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 + 1/8 cup flour
  • 3/4 + 1/8 cup oatmeal
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup craisins

Directions: 
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
  2. Cream together the butter, sugar, brown sugar, until light and fluffy
  3. Beat in the egg until thoroughly combined
  4. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, oats, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon
  5. Add the craisins and toss to combine
  6. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter-sugar mixture and then mix until they are completely incorporated
  7. Drop the dough in tablespoon sized balls onto the baking sheet, placing them about 2 inches apart. Flatten each ball slightly
  8. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until the edges are golden brown and the center is slightly soft
  9. Be careful not to overbake; soft, chewy, centers make these cookies irresistible! 
  10. Enjoy a "healthy" indulging cookie! 




No comments:

Post a Comment