Saturday, July 19, 2014

Healthy Dancer Life

Being a dancer requires commitment. It is very easy to fall into extremes when you have so much pressure on your shoulders. You have to be skinny, yet strong. If you get too skinny, then you're all wrong. If you gain a few pounds, then you're all wrong. A dancer will never please others. A dancer must only please herself. 

I had to learn this the hard way, sadly. When I was in eighth grade, I felt totally insecure about myself. I had acne all over my face, I was a few pounds over weight, and I had people always telling me "no, no, no", which only worsened the situation by adding to the stress on me. I broke down one day and felt like running away. My mom, my hero, intervened and took care of it. She gave me the love I needed right at that moment, and she taught me that I was stronger than what I gave myself credits for. I visited a nutritionist and a dermatologist and with effort and commitment, I reached a healthy point. I lost about 25 pounds, and all of my acne faded away. People noticed that I looked so differently, both inside and out. I started feeling more confident, liking people complimenting my body and feeling my hip bones stick out. 

Slowly, slowly, that became my obsession. I was obsessed with everything that I put in my body, and continued to lose weight. There was a point during this period in which I felt like I could not eat a slice of pizza without feeling bad about myself. And then I would eat about five slices of pizza and not eating for a long time and I would go to sleep to not feel hungry. I lost my menstruation, and it took my mom saying the words "you might not be able to have kids" with yet another doctor across from us to wake me up from my state. Once again, with the help of my mother and professionals, I learned to love myself regardless of what people say or think about me. I have gained weight in a healthy fashion and my confidence has risen from the ashes. I've learned to love what I eat and find a balance between treating myself and taking care of myself. Even my general health has improved; my hair, my skin, and my immune system has strengthened. 

This summer, with the month of intense ballet training I decided to take, giving my body the energy that it needs has become very very essential as well. I want to share with you a day's worth of a close enough healthy ballerina lifestyle. 

  1. Start by making a grocery list. I like to plan out a list and separate things according to categories. This is what I often look for.    
Fruits/Veggies: lettuce, baby spinach, carrots, celery, cucumber, tomatoes, onions, brocoli, cauliflower, pears, peaches, blueberries, bananas, strawberries, grapes, cherries

Protein: chicken, shrimp, turkey ham, hummus

Dairy: eggs, lactose free milk, almond milk, greek yogurt

Fats: peanut butter, avocado, olive oil, white chocolate covered pretzels, granola bars, pastry crisp bars

Carbs: cereal, whole wheat bread, pita bread or pita chips, rice, tortillas, potatoes, pasta (If you watch your servings, these don't have to be whole wheat, but it's always a better option.) 

Other: instant coffee, splenda, chamomille tea, condiments, salt, spices, Preggo pasta sauce, etc. 
2. Plan ahead and vary your food! 
A day of a full 6 small meals a day during a day of summer intensive for me looks like this: 

Breakfast: a cup of milk, a cup of cereal, and fruit
Snack: a granola bar or pastry crisp bar, coffee
Lunch: a whole wheat turkey ham and cheese sandwich with mustard, lettuce, tomato, cucumbers, carrots or celery, any fruit (vary your fruits and veggies) 
Snack: any fruit or veggies with hummus
Dinner: any protein (shrimp or chicken) with a side of any carb (mashed potatoes, rice, or pasta), and boiled veggies

3. Go all out. 
My teachers at the intensive keep reminding us to dance like we are on stage always. I always try to give my all into my dancing. A dancer leaves her heart and soul out on the floor. A dancer experiences an inexplicable passion with her dancing. Don't be afraid to go all out and shine. Push yourself to your limit and pay close attention to details. 


4. Be cautious and take care of yourself.
I have been experiencing a sharp pain in my hip flexer for a while now. I know it is because I am not used to such heavy excercise on a daily basis. Each morning before dance I rest with this heat on the part of my body that is in pain. Every night I repeat the same routine. I also take Ibuprofen if the pain is too much for me. Don't neglect your injuries, no matter how little they are. A blister can be deadly, I know that from experience. Also, don't forget to rest. Your body needs to charge batteries at least with 8 hours of sleep a night.

5. Treat yourself! "Is it Friday, Saturday, or Sunday yet?" I ask myself. 
Feel free to treat yourself with the things you like. You deserve it. You worked for it. Now, do the things that make you happy. Everything in an excess is bad, so be wise and enjoy the little things in life! 




No comments:

Post a Comment